Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Invisible Art


This is a painting by my great grandmother, Annie Eller. She painted it over 100 years ago, and it has finally come down to my posession. It is certainly not the only one, there are quite a few that she did for a few years before she was married, but it is by no means a common object.

Were we not a family that holds onto objects and keeps track of their significance, it is quite possible to imagine this painting, and others, to have ended up in a yard sale, thrift shop or even a dumpster. Does something cease to be a work of art if it is lying in a dumpster? Considering the amount of garbage inspired art these days, it seems like a valid question. Does it only work in one direction? If you bring garbage into the gallery it becomes art while if you throw art away it is still art?

I think so. We are not making judgements about the art itself. Saying, "This artwork is a piece of garbage" is not the same as saying "This piece of garbage was once a work of art." I can't imagine anyone saying the latter and meaning it literally.

At any rate I am saved from having to make this judgement, because not only do I have the piece, but I think it is a great painting. For more of her work you can click here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment