Thursday, May 20, 2010

Interlude



If I have learned anything in my program it is that I should have a few irons in the fire. I took my day back in the studio to prepare for a different project that my mentor and I had discussed. I have taken hundreds of photographs of the mill and areas around it, and a lot of these images have become backgrounds or parts of backgrounds on other paintings.

In order to make the photographs literally part of the finished work, I have printed some of them onto canvas that can go through an inkjet printer. I have then mounted them on 7 x 7 boards and trimmed them to fit. I tested the first four last night and you can see them here, as well as the back of another. The blocks of wood glued to the back will be used to hang it and help them act as sort of a floating image.

The plan is to paint pictures of birds directly onto the canvas paper with the photograph as the background. They are cut to the size that they are to not refer to the standard inkjet paper size as well as to refer back to the square pigeon portraits that I had been doing previously. My thought is to display them in a line like a filmstrip, helping to create a sort of narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment