Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It is difficult to focus on the monotony of the bricks, but that is what looking at landscape (even reclaimed landscape) is all about. We tend to not look at the variation from tree to tree, bush to bush. We admire architecture and can identify different building styles, but we don't have names for different growing shapes. I'm thinking about bonsai and the different "shapes" the trees have. If you had said the words "traditional cascade style" to my grandmother, she would have known exactly what you meant and all kinds of information about it. Those styles are all taken from existing forms that trees take in the landscape. We just don't know what to call it. All I can do when I am trying to teach my students is to say, "draw it by making lines sort of like this". Very inefficient. And yet there is no one brick in this piece. Each one is a recipe of various ingredients found in varying degrees in all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment